It’s almost the end of February and I wanted to meet my undergarment goal for the month and have a lace bra to submit for Emerald Erin’s Lace Month. So re-tackling the Elan bra pattern, I drafted the adjustments I thought were needed based on my fist try of the pattern.
And then I went off the rails. Looking at the new pieces I still felt uncertain my adjustments would really resolve the pointy issue. So, what did I do? I cheated😳
Out came a older LaSenza bra which I thought the cups fit fairly decently in. It’s thin preformed foam with no push-up bumps. Apparently a 32 DD?? Weird, some of my single D bras seem slightly large… Anyhow, moving on, I cut out my pieces on tissue with no seam allowance and grab some tape.
Wait a second. In the craftsy class I took, where adjustments are demonstrated, she says “never touch the wire line.” Gah!! I just touched the wire line! Muttering curses at myself I start measuring. 7/8 of an inch extra along lower cup.
Original length of upper cup along wire line was 2 1/2 inches and is now 1 5/8 inches…so less by 7/8 of an inch! So I’ve got the same distance in the end! I pause for a little happy dance then mark down by another 5/8″ of an in the center since both the Elan and the LaSenza were to high in the center.
I plan to use a 38 regular wire from Bra-makers Supply so I compare this to the wire from the LaSenza bra. Then compare the wire I used in my first Elan. My planned wire looks 1 1/4 inches shorter than the LaSenza wire (picture on left) so I compare the La Senza to the wire used in my first Elan (on the right). The LaSenza wire is taller by 5/8 of an inch. This tells me that my drop of 5/8 inch at the center front is fine and I won’t have excess room in the channeling for the wire I plan to use.
I lower the center front on my bridge to match the 5/8 inch I lowered my cup by. Since I want the front of my band in lace, I also used a nifty pivot trick I learned in the Foam, Lace and Beyond course to get a lace line with enough space for my elastic and seam allowance.
Now that I’ve bombarded you with all the boring pictures of tissue paper scribbles, finally the good stuff:
Hot pink stretch lace covers the cup, the band and a small triangle where the straps attach. Originally I used just some white ribbon for the straps but that seemed too flimsy and was quickly replaced with this 1/2″ elastic and lace triangle which I like much better.
The cup is really close in fit to what I was looking for with a lovely round shape. If I take a 1/4″ dart out of the outer side cup it lays nicer and seems like it will be perfect. I’m so excited – my own hand made pink lace bra with foam cups!
I may have cheated at the drafting of changes but it saved me what would have been several trials to get where I am now, with a “La Elan” bra that I’m so pleased with.
A final picture comparing the foam in my adjusted round shape to the original shape of the Elan.
Garment Cost $27.83 CAD (costs include shipping, exchange & duties)
- 1/2″ Band elastic $4.37 – Bra-Makers Supply
- 3/8 Strap Elastic $1.22 – Bra-Makers Supply
- 3/8″ Band elastic $01.16 – ArteCrafts
- Hook & Eye closure $2.63 – ArteCrafts
- Channeling- $1.46 – Sew Sassy Fabrics
- Strap sliders/rings $1.70 – Bra-Makers Supply
- Underwires $3.40 – Bra-Makers Supply
- Pre-finished foam $4.00 – Bra-Makers Supply
- Powernet $2.15 – Sew Sassy Fabrics
- Pink stretch lace $4.04 – Sew Sassy Fabrics
- Sheer lining $0.90 – Bra-Makers Supply
- Ribbon approx $0.30 – Michaels
- Thread approx $0.50
*** Prices for Sew Sassy items are from a order I made in 2014, when CAD to USD exchange was much better than current rates.
Pattern cost $ 16.98 CAD – now used 2 times
- Take 1/4″ dart out at outer side cup
- Move strap attachment point towards slightly inwards
- Lengthen band by 1″ if using firm elastic and power net
- Modify seam lines using my perfected foam cup and techniques from “Foam, Lace and Beyond” Craftsy course.